Tuesday, May 17, 2011

So I've Graduated...

... and I didn't get the grant money I was hoping for from the Delaware Scholarship Incentive Program. So I can't really afford graduate school next year. I spoke with my one friends sister who has 1 bachelors degree and 3 masters degrees and she said that after Oliver and I get married financial aid becomes a lot easier to come by. I can see that being true. Still not attending graduate school right away even though I got in and even was able to skip a class is a pretty big downer. So I'll be working saving money, paying back loans, applying at game companies, and today I sent out about 100 postcards for various illustration jobs that my work seemed to fit into. I am also reconsidering going to graduate school specifically for animation. I'm thinking more of an "Entertainment Technology" program and to specialize in animation, because I think I might rather work in video games because of the constant production work flow and I like being busy. That and with video game you don't get the out sourcing that comes with the animation territory (at least television animation).


So since graduation other than working I've also been working on food illustrations as seen above because Charlie suggested it to me after he saw my postcard 3 months ago and I'm finally getting around to drawing some

I've also started preproduction work for my next animated short "Level 4 Goblin" Title still in the works. I've pretty much started on making a map and fleshing out the map a bit so that I have and idea on where this goblin is going when I storyboard it. The basic concept is this goblin gets dropped into a game of dungeons and dragons while the world is being built around him I expect the run time to be between a minute and 2 and a half minutes. That'll sort its self out after I do the story boards and throw them into an animatic. I also want to go to 3 film festivals that have animation as part of their work and depending on what happens next year I really want to go to the Ottawa animation fest.

I have also watched this one anime Puella Magi Madoka Magica and between that and The Amazing World of Gumball airing on CN I am really taken a back by their animation. They are very different types of shows; Madoka Magica is a sad sad show with amazing character development and upon watching the ending my tears caused Lancaster PA to rain for a day straight, and Gumball is a silly show with less developed characters and convenient situations and over all hilarious shenanigans. Both these shows that have recently been airing in their respected countries have several different animation styles and techniques inter graded in the show and pull it off really really well.

This is a .gif from Madoka Magica and it doesn't show how awesome these combined techniques really look, but it does show the gest of what I am talking about. (Also from this show I learned that Joan of Arc was a magical girl).

The character designs are really adorable and between that and the way the backgrounds are build and the lighting in some of these shots I'm really blown away. (This show has the most intelligent humorous cartoon mom).

I'll try not to wait too long between posts because the result tends to be super long.

No comments:

Post a Comment